Andrew K. Hazen, Partner
Andrew joins FH2 as a Partner, and focuses his practice on corporate, transactional, and real estate matters. Andrew also serves as outside general counsel to a number of closely-held businesses in a variety of industries, including healthcare, long-term care and senior living, manufacturing and distribution, construction, agriculture, and commercial real estate, whose annual revenues range from less than $1M to over $100M.
Corporate Partner to his Clients
Andrew assists clients by learning the unique opportunities and challenges faced by their businesses and crafting efficient solutions that fit the client’s goals and objectives. From formation to acquisition, operations, and divestiture, Andrew has become a trusted advisor to clients in a number of industries and has developed expertise in a variety of transaction types. In addition to his transactional work, Andrew also serves as outside general counsel for several clients assisting with and advising on labor and employment matters, licensure and regulatory issues, and business litigation.
Andrew has successfully represented clients in a broad array of matters. These include:
- Corporate Transactions involving:
- Ten (10) or more transactions, involving the acquisition and divestiture of assisted living and skilled nursing facilities throughout Georgia, including the purchase and sale of real estate and operational assets
- Multiple purchases and sales of closely-held insurance brokerage firms
- Sale of a privately-held insurance TPA firm to a larger competitor
- Sale of a privately-held construction supply company to a competitor
- Sale of medical device product line to national manufacturer/distributor
- Real Estate and Landlord/Tenant matters involving:
- Purchase of a warehouse facility, including environmental and zoning due diligence, obtaining access easements, and termination of current lease to allow for expansion
- Purchase and sale of commercial office buildings
- Negotiation of warehouse leases in five (5) different states for a home products manufacturer and distributor totaling over 500,000 square feet, including construction for tenant improvement of each facility and obtaining rights of expansion
- Negotiation of commercial leases on behalf of landlords and tenants, including workouts and amendments.
- Business and Real Property Litigation before federal and state courts including:
- Construction disputes
- Customer and Vendor disputes
- Commercial real estate disputes
- Contract disputes
- Employment related disputes
- Appeals before state appellate courts. Reported cases include:
- Barking Hound Village, LLC et al. v. Monyak et al., 299 Ga. 144 (2016)
- Brown v. Howard, 334 Ga. App. 182 (2015)
- Clark v. AgGeorgia Farm Credit ACA, 333 Ga. App. 73 (2015)
- Regulatory/Licensing matters involving:
- Certificates of Need and Change of Ownership for Healthcare and Skilled Nursing Facilities
- OSHA investigations and citations
- Labor & employment compliance and disputes
- Regulatory compliance in connection with production and distribution of food products before:
- Georgia Department of Agriculture
Outside of the Office
Andrew is an avid runner/hiker and dedicated family man, spending his free time with his wife and three young children, all of whom love to explore the playgrounds, pools, and parks of Decatur, Georgia.
Education: Davidson College, B.A. in Religion; Georgia State University, J.D., cum laude with highest pro bono distinction, and served on Georgia State University Law Review.
Member: State Bar of Georgia (Agriculture and Real Property Sections). American Agricultural Law Association.
Awards: Andrew was recognized in Super Lawyers Georgia Rising Stars in 2023. Only five percent of the lawyers in a given state were selected to the Super Lawyers list. The Rising Star designation recognizes exceptional attorneys under 40 years old. Only 2.5 percent of attorneys in a given state are named as Rising Stars in a given year in all categories.